Friday, September 20, 2013

Review: Canfield Brothers Crampon Magnesium Pedal

Just concluded my review of the Canfield Brothers Crampon Magnesium Pedal. Its a pedal that builds on the successful original Crampon pedal. Canfield Brothers did some improvements, and this is the result, but how does it fare? Well, I have been testing it in and out of bikeparks these last few months, and here are my concluding thoughts. But first the basics:

106mm x 106mm, chromo axle, DU bushings, laser etched logos.
(click to enlarge)

Claimed 282 grams, actual weight is 285g, pretty close imo.
(click to enlarge)

Thin 6-10mm magnesium body. Its just crazy thin.
(click to enlarge)

Replaceable dual sided pins. Long, but a tiny bit more fat than the ones on my Podiums, and my experience tell me that thin pins are key to grip on FiveTen shoes .
(click to enlarge)

 Crampon Magnesium VS Point One Racing Podiums. Podiums are noticeably bigger, they feel bigger as well. My Twenty6 Predator are way bigger than both tho'.
(click to enlarge)

So while these pedals are thin and lightweight, they are on the small size, and the grip isn't that good to be honest - compared to the Twenty6 Predator pedal (review pending). What did surprise me however, is how tough these pedals are - didn't expect that from a magnesium compound. The pins are easy to swap even if you bend or break them, that's a huge plus.
I have to be honest and say that these pedals stand in the shadow of the Twenty6 Predator pedal, everything this pedal does, the Predator does better in some way. I wish the crampon pedal was at least 1cm larger in both directions, and had thinner pins, that would address my main issues. Its not a bad pedal, but there are better option out there.

The Good:
-Thin
-Lightweight
-Laser etched logos, and a tough finish
-Easy swappable pins
-Surprisingly tough

The Bad:
-Platform is a bit too small
-Grip is so-so

Score: 3/6

No comments:

Post a Comment