Thursday, November 28, 2013

Review: FiveTen Freerider VXi

The VXi is the first lovechild between FiveTen and the Adidas engineers, and its definitely an interesting shoe. The VXi has been delayed for an entire year, but earlier this year I finally got a pair, and can conclude my review based on 8 months of intense use. Read on.

The VXi has an incorporated hard toe cap, even harder than the "old" Freerider Pro. This is a welcome upgrade. The ankle support has gotten stiffer as well, adding support and protection. The outer material is more tough, but has a bit less ventilation. The material is way more easy to clean as well.
(click to enlarge)

The bottom of the outsole is where the VXi really differs from everything else we have seen from FiveTen. There is no pattern in the middle of the shoe, making every foot position equal in grip. The sole itself is stiffer as well, compared to the classic Freerider. So if you are into stiff soles (I am), then this is probably a welcome improvement.
(click to enlarge)

Weight:
Freerider PRO is 880g
Freerider VXi is 855g
The Freerider series has been on a continued diet, and added more and more protection along the way, a winning formula?
(click to enlarge)

Initially not as comfortable as the Freerider or Freerider Pro. But after a few weeks of use, they get as comfortable as any other FiveTen shoe. The grip is nothing short of amazing, but be aware that they take a considerable time to bed-in; the stealth rubber needs to get a bit "chewed up" before giving that legendary grip.
(click to enlarge)

This is after 5 months of intense use. These shoes are holding up just fine.
(click to enlarge)

The "i" in VXi stands for Innovation, and it definitely is. A lot of things are changed compared to the original  FiveTen freerider-shoe, and pretty much everything is a change to the better. If you are in the market for some new shoes for your platform pedals, then consider adding the VXi on the top of the list:

The Good:
-Stiffer sole.
-Great grip.
-Surprisingly durable.
-Easy to clean due to new material
-More protection.

The Bad:
-Sole takes some time to bed in. Don't expect to be amazed at first.
-Shoe itself takes some time to bed in as well, longer than what you'd normally expect.
-The shoe laces.. man I'm tired of shoe laces..
-Extremely slippery in wet conditions when you walk around.
-Wearing these in snowy conditions will be downright suicidal.

Score: 5/6

7 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I wish you a happy and healthy new year!
    I have a question. Did you get a size smaller than the Impact low's or the same?
    I won't to get them on line because I can't find them in a shop and I only tried on Impact Low's...
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, and a happy new year to you too. I went for the same size actually, hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, of course you helped me. That's exactly what I wanted!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I made the order. I will have them in a couple of weeks!
    Thanks again.
    I hope I enjoy them as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, just remember tat they have a considerable bed-in time, grip wise, and comfort-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I keep that in mind. I remember it from your review.

    ReplyDelete